Photography

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Being my own Warrior

One of my favorite things about this blog is being able to "relive" certain moments and thoughts of my own. Using my own inner thoughts to pull out inspiration for myself. I can dig it. I can go in and reread a post, a gentle reminder to pull it together, remind myself of what is important, and take it from there.

Reading a book called Where Did Our Love Go: Love and Relationships in the African-American Community, edited by Gil L. Robertson, has my mind moving a mile a minute. This is a book of essays from public figures, celebrities, journalists etc. who share their experiences and journeys with love and deals with the role (and/or lack thereof) marriage plays in the black community. The book is broken down into three sections: Single, Married, Divorced.

Chapter 8 - Being My Own Warrior - JaQuitta Williams

Let me tell you. A few passages hit the nail on the head. This chapter spoke volumes to me and how I've wanted (and achieved) to living my life these past few years. It's like I told her my life and she put it on paper. Always dating the same guy. Different on the outside, but the same blueprint on the inside. Having a good time, but when it came to "it", I was the only one in it for the long haul, or at least interested for the long haul. I decided to flip the switch (and my life) and just enjoy me. Doing what I want to do, when I want to do it. "And I feel because I am in this place, whatever God allows or wants to bring into my life will be clearer for me to see." OK!!!

"We all want to be coupled up, but there has to be something in you that says, 'I am okay. I am beautiful. I am strong by myself.' So when you find somebody, you shine even brighter." Do i want a relationship? Yes, but not at the expense of what I've been working towards for myself for all these years. You gotta come correct, and stay correct.

"Whatever trials happens in my life, whatever man comes or stays away, I know that God will bring people in my life or remove them because that's what God does. There will never be a person who can deliver me from what God delivered me from, and because of that I'm good. I realized that my marriage is with God. My love and all that goes with it is with God, and whomever He presents to me, to go through this life on this earth with me, is a bonus. I know that no person can ever do for me what God does for me, so why am I tripping?" #wonthedoit

0 comments:

Post a Comment